“Excellent course. It had everything I needed.”
Autism and Learning Disabilities Awareness
This course aims to raise awareness of the challenges people with autism and learning disabilities face so that dental teams can provide better support for their patients and any team members with autism or learning disabilities.
The course provides an introduction to:
- Autism and learning difficulties
- The different types of learning disabilities, and how these affect people
- Mental health conditions
- The stigma and discrimination faced by many people with autism and learning disabilities.
Finally, the course offers a practical guide to delivering person-centred dental care, making reasonable adjustments, creating the right culture, and supporting patients with autism and learning disabilities in dental practices.
This course is suitable for the whole dental team.
Course duration: 60 minutes
The aim of this course is to provide an overview of autism and learning disabilities so that dental teams can provide the best support for their patients and fellow colleagues.
The objective of this online course is that you will learn:
- How the CQC regulates dental practices to ensure a fair and inclusive approach.
- What autism and learning disabilities are.
- The challenges people with autism and learning disabilities may face.
- What neurodiversity and neurodivergent mean.
- Mental health conditions linked to autism and learning disabilities.
- How stigma and self-stigma are attached.
- How do people face discrimination when they have a disability.
- How to create person-centred care in your dental practice.
- How to make reasonable adjustments.
A, C, D
Effective communication with patients, the dental team and others across dentistry, including when obtaining consent, dealing with complaints, and raising concerns when patients are at risk.
- Communication skills.
- Complaints handling.
- Raising concerns.
Maintenance and development of knowledge and skill within your field(s) of practice.
- Clinical and technical areas of study.
- Cross infection control.
- Medical emergencies and CPR.
- Emerging technologies and treatments.
- CPD specific for your daily role(s).
- Upskilling opportunities.
Maintenance of skills, behaviours and attitudes which maintain patient confidence in you and the dental profession and put patients’ interests first.
- Ethical and legal issues and developments.
- Professional behaviours.
- Equality and diversity training.
Introduction and background
How CQC regulates providers
Treating all patients equally
Government laws that aim to protect us
Equality and Human Rights Commission UK
What is a disability?
Autism and learning disabilities
What is autism?
Challenges people with autism face
What is a learning disability?
Understanding we are all unique
Profound multiple learning disabilities (PMLD)
What do we mean by neurodiversity?
Neurotypical vs Neurodivergent
Mental Health Conditions
Mental health conditions, autism and learning disabilities
Why are people with autism and learning disabilities more likely to have mental health conditions?
Stigma and self-stigma
A person-centred approach
Making reasonable adjustments
Building a culture that is fair and inclusive
Leadership and culture
Summary: Autism and Learning Disabilities Awareness
Pre-Question Advice Preview
Autism and Learning Disabilities Awareness
Feedback & Reflective Learning Guidance
Your GDPR Course includes
Our course material is both current and relevant; verified by leaders in the dental industry.
We use a combination of text, imagery, videos and presentations to help you get the most out of this course.
This course features documents for you to download and use in your dental practice.
Upon completion of the course you are required to complete a short feedback survey.
Frequently asked Questions
When does the course start and finish?
The course begins when you are ready. Although the course duration is 60 minutes, you can work at your own pace, and your progress is saved automatically.
How long do I have access to the course?
After you have successfully enrolled on the course, there is no limit on when you must complete the course by.
Does the course have a test?
Yes. There is a short assessment at the end of the course. You must achieve 80% or more to pass the course. If you do not pass, you have the opportunity to review the content and re-take the assessment when you are ready.
Does the course offer a certificate upon completion?
Yes. Upon successful completion of the course, you will be awarded a personalised certificate. This is saved to your personal dashboard. You can download and print this certificate when you require it. In addition, you are also credited with a digital badge that will feature in your personal dashboard.