Inoculation Injuries & Safer Sharps
An inoculation injury is the most likely method of blood-borne virus (BBV) transmission in dentistry. Inoculation injuries include needle-stick injuries, bites or scratches from patients and splashes to the eye with infected material.
This course will provide you with the knowledge to implement safe working systems to prevent the risk of inoculation injuries and the possible exposure to blood borne viruses.
The course provides 60 minutes of verifiable CPD
“This course will provide all the team with the knowledge to implement safe working systems.”
On completion of this course you will gain the knowledge and tools to understand and implement safe working systems to prevent the risk of blood borne virus exposure and injury.
- Preventive measures to avoid inoculation injury
- Dealing with the risk of infection
- Complying with RIDDOR
- Safe and effective decontamination duties for the team
- Step by step guidance for sharp injuries
- Understand the Health and Safety (Sharp Instruments in Healthcare) Regulations 2013
- Requirements of employers and contractors
- Effective management of safer sharps
- Appropriate team training.
Maintenance and development of knowledge and skill within your field(s) of practice.
- Clinical and technical areas of study.
Cross infection control.
Medical emergencies and CPR.
Emerging technologies and treatments.
CPD specific for your daily role(s).
- “I absolutely love this online training site. Very informative & easy to understand.”
- “Very relevant to keep up to date and know the risks.”
- “This course will provide all the team with the knowledge to implement safe working systems.”
- “Very good course, informative and reinforced current practices.”
- “Really refreshed my knowledge on Sharps & inoculation procedures; very helpful.”
- “Very informative on how to deal with sharps injuries.”
- “Good information to make you more aware of what you are doing and to make you think.”
- “Lots of information to take in, lots of updated info since I last nursed.”
- “It refreshed my knowledge on inoculation injuries and was a very good course.”
More than 5,000 completions
This is one of our most popular courses. We’ve issued more than 5,000 certificates to dental professionals just like you for Inoculation Injuries & Safer Sharps.
More than 98% of dental professionals who completed this course would recommend this course to others.
What do you think of Inoculation & Safer Sharps?
See some of our course feedback below
“Excellent refresh of how we should manage sharps and reinforces that our procedure is correct.”
“Course excellent and very informative especially in my job as a dental nurse.”
“A really informative course. An ideal refresher course for everyone in the dental profession.”
What is an inoculation injury?
What is the risk?
Who is at risk?
New clinical team members
Decontamination of reusable instruments
Eye splash injuries
Needlestick and sharp instrument injuries
Increased risk factors
Sharps Injury Protocol
Sharps Injury Flowcharts
Keeping you safe
European Directive – Safer Sharps
Employers and contractors
Effective and safe management of sharps
Safer sharps where practicable
Prevent the recapping of needles
Where should in-use sharps bins be placed?
Provide appropriate information and training
Investigate and respond to injuries
Review procedures regularly
Points to note
Summary – Inoculation Injuries and Safer Sharps
Inoculation Injuries and Safer Sharps
Feedback & Reflective Learning Guidance
Your course includes
Our course material is both current and relevant; verified by leaders in the dental industry.
We use a combination of text, imagery, videos and presentations to help you get the most out of this course.
This course features documents for you to download and use in your dental practice.
Upon completion of the course you are required to complete a short feedback survey.
Frequently asked Questions
When does the course start and finish?
The course begins when you are ready. Although the course duration is 60 minutes, you can work at your own pace, and your progress is saved automatically.
How long do I have access to the course?
After you have successfully enrolled on the course, there is no limit on when you must complete the course by.
Does the course have a test?
Yes. There is a short assessment at the end of the course. You must achieve 80% or more to pass the course. If you do not pass, you have the opportunity to review the content and re-take the assessment when you are ready.
Does the course offer a certificate upon completion?
Yes. Upon successful completion of the course, you will be awarded a personalised certificate. This is saved to your personal dashboard. You can download and print this certificate when you require it. In addition, you are also credited with a digital badge that will feature in your personal dashboard.