Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
This course aims to educate dental teams on the importance of personal protective equipment (PPE) in preventing the spread of infectious diseases and hazardous materials in dental settings. Participants will gain a comprehensive understanding of the role of PPE in protecting both patients and dental team members, as well as learn about the different types of PPE required for dental practice.
This course is suitable for the whole dental team.
Course duration: 60 minutes
The aim of this course is to ensure dental teams understand the importance of personal protective equipment (PPE) and are equipped to properly use and dispose of it.
The objective of this online course is:
- To provide an in-depth understanding of the role of PPE in preventing cross-contamination and protecting both patients and dental team members from hazardous materials and infectious agents.
- To explain the different types of PPE required for dental teams, including gloves, masks, eye protection, protective clothing, head coverings, sleeves, gowns, and footwear.
- To explore the specific situations and procedures in which each type of PPE should be used and the factors that influence the selection of appropriate PPE.
- To ensure dental professionals are aware of the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health regulations, understand their responsibilities for providing and wearing PPE in accordance with these regulations, and the consequences of non-compliance.
- To provide clear guidance on how to don, and doff PPE, including techniques for ensuring the correct fit, avoiding contamination during use, and the correct sequence for removing PPE to minimise the risk of infection.
- To guide on other protective measures that can be taken to minimise risks in addition to PPE, such as proper hand hygiene, environmental cleaning, and airflow management.
- To review the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on PPE use in dental practices, outlining the specific guidance and recommendations for PPE use during this time.
B, C, D
Effective management of self and effective management of others or effective work with others in the dental team, in the interests of patients, providing constructive leadership where appropriate.
- Effective practice management.
- Business management.
- Team working.
- Leadership skills.
Maintenance and development of knowledge and skill within your field(s) of practice.
- Clinical and technical areas of study.
- Cross infection control.
- Medical emergencies and CPR.
- Emerging technologies and treatments.
- CPD specific for your daily role(s).
- Upskilling opportunities.
Maintenance of skills, behaviours and attitudes which maintain patient confidence in you and the dental profession and put patients’ interests first.
- Ethical and legal issues and developments.
- Professional behaviours.
- Equality and diversity training.
Introduction to PPE
Updated guidance for COVID-19 protocols
What is Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)?
Disposable gloves and hand hygiene
Heavy-duty waterproof gloves
Fluid resistant surgical masks (FRSM)
Head coverings and sleeves
Disposable aprons and gowns
Other protective measures for patients and team members
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and COVID-19
What to do when your patient has tested positive with COVID-19
Guidance on Respiratory Protective Equipment (RPE)
Safe disposal of PPE as healthcare waste
Summary – PPE
Pre-Question Advice Preview
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
Course Feedback and Reflective Learning
Your GDPR Course includes
Our course material is both current and relevant; verified by leaders in the dental industry.
We use a combination of text, imagery, videos and presentations to help you get the most out of this course.
This course features documents for you to download and use in your dental practice.
Upon completion of the course you are required to complete a short feedback survey.
Frequently asked Questions
When does the course start and finish?
The course begins when you are ready. Although the course duration is 60 minutes, you can work at your own pace, and your progress is saved automatically.
How long do I have access to the course?
After you have successfully enrolled on the course, there is no limit on when you must complete the course by.
Does the course have a test?
Yes. There is a short assessment at the end of the course. You must achieve 80% or more to pass the course. If you do not pass, you have the opportunity to review the content and re-take the assessment when you are ready.
Does the course offer a certificate upon completion?
Yes. Upon successful completion of the course, you will be awarded a personalised certificate. This is saved to your personal dashboard. You can download and print this certificate when you require it. In addition, you are also credited with a digital badge that will feature in your personal dashboard.