“Excellent material on sepsis. Simple to understand and contained many important issues.”
Sepsis claims 52,000 lives per year (The UK Sepsis Trust) and because of the rapid onset of the condition, the difficulty in diagnosing it and the potentially catastrophic consequences of a failure to diagnose and treat patients suffering from sepsis in time; it is, unsurprisingly, a frequent news item in the media.
This online, verifiable CPD course for dental professionals will help you understand your obligations in relation to recognising the life-threatening symptoms of sepsis, and you will understand how to apply this obligated duty into your day to day work.
Suitable for the whole dental team.
The course provides 1 hour of verifiable CPD
On completion of this course you will understand your obligations in relation to recognising the life-threatening symptoms of sepsis. You will also understand how to apply this obligated duty into your day to day work.
To understand the following:
- What sepsis is and who is at risk?
- CQC, GDC & NICE guidelines and expectations
- Out of hours arrangements
- Severe pericoronitis protocols
- Warning signs of sepsis
- Clinical notes and good record keeping
- Sepsis and dentistry
- Reducing the risk of sepsis
- Prevention of sepsis advice to patients and dentists
- Factors that increase sepsis after dental treatment
- Practice procedures, protocols and paperwork.
- “Excellent material on sepsis. Simple to understand and contained many important issues.”
- “I didn’t realise about the policies required in practice – Very informative!!!”
- “This course was simple to follow and gave information in a clear way.”
- “The course was short, concise and direct to the point.”
- “Found it very informative on Sepsis. Opened my eyes on how changes need to be put into practice.”
- “Nicely presented and informative course.”
What is sepsis?
Sepsis national statistics
Who is at risk?
Is sepsis contagious?
What the Care Quality Commission (CQC) says
Systems & processes
Out of hours arrangements
NICE guidance on sepsis
What the General Dental Council (GDC) says:
Information on sepsis for patients
Signs and symptoms
Reducing the risks
Professional dental action
Factors that increase the chance of sepsis
Sepsis following dental treatment
Update your Practice Procedures
Summary – Sepsis
Sepsis – Quiz
Feedback & Reflective Learning Guidance
Your course includes
Our course material is both current and relevant; verified by leaders in the dental industry.
We use a combination of text, imagery, videos and presentations to help you get the most out of this course.
This course features documents for you to download and use in your dental practice.
Upon completion of the course you are required to complete a short feedback survey.
Frequently asked Questions
When does the course start and finish?
The course begins when you are ready. Although the course duration is 30 minutes, you can work at your own pace, and your progress is saved automatically.
How long do I have access to the course?
After registering for the course, you have 365 days to access the course.
Does the course have a test?
Yes. There is a short assessment at the end of the course. You must achieve 80% or more to pass the course. If you do not pass, you have the opportunity to review the content and re-take the assessment when you are ready.
Does the course offer a certificate upon completion?
Yes. Upon successful completion of the course, you will be awarded a personalised certificate. This is saved to your personal dashboard. You can download and print this certificate when you require it. In addition, you are also credited with a digital badge that will feature in your personal dashboard.